DEPARTMENT OF Mechanical Engineering (MECH)
The Department of Mechanical Engineering was established in VITAM College of Engineering in the year 1998 with an annual intake of 60 students, which has been increased to 120 in the year 2012. Since its inception, the Department is maintaining consistency in academic performance with its bagging "University Gold Medal" in the year 2003. M Tech (CADCAM) course is introduced in the year 2010 with an in-take of 18. The Department has highly qualified committed and experienced faculty members who are having rich academic and industrial experience. To make teaching and learning processes more effective, 1:20 faculty student ratio is being maintained in the Department since inception as per the AICTE norms. The Department possesses best infrastructure facilities in various labs like Workshop, Strength of Material lab, Thermal Engineering lab, MCMT lab, Metrology lab, Production Technology lab, Fluid Mechanics lab, CAD/CAM Lab and Heat transfer lab. To serve the student needs beyond curriculum and make them industry ready, additional experiments are being conducted in the laboratories. Apart from other labs, Department also has a Robotics club equipped with robo kits.
It has been a forerunner in identifying career oriented courses at the higher educational level that would facilitate formal training in specialized areas at U.G. level and thus enhancing the employability of its students. Department also runs various other programs/activities like offering advanced technologies and trends to the students through its Student Development Center, Seminars by external resources, Training and Placement activities, National and International level paper presentations, Industry Visits, Industrial oriented programs etc. to develop Industry ready professionals. The Department has Mechanical Engineering Association, which is organizing seminars to enlighten the students about recent trends in Mechanical Engineering. Competitions like debate, technical quizzes, extempore to develop the student on the personality front and sports are conducted on regular basis.
The academic performance of the students is also a matter of prestige to the Department and Special impetus is given to students to improve their managerial skills. They are motivated to organize various events in the department by themselves which includes national seminars and technical symposiums. They are also encouraged to participate in various events organized by reputed colleges and have won many prizes every year bringing laurels to the department.
The Department has set a goal of transforming itself into a full - fledged research and development center. In addition to the above our Institution also is a permanent member of Institution of Engineers (India).
To achieve excellence in Mechanical Engineering through Innovation, Teamwork and Institutional Transformation.
- To impart quality education to the students to meet the needs of profession and society.
- To provide an environment conducive to innovation, team-spirit and entrepreneurial leadership for sustainable development.
- To facilitate effective interactions among faculty and students with the support of alumni, industries and other institutions
- To Practice and promote high standards of professional ethics
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- Domain Knowledge: To enable the students to address the challenges faced in mechanical and other allied streams with a solid foundation on the principles of mechanical engineering, mathematics, sciences and with good knowledge in modern computational, analytical and simulation tools and techniques.
- Higher Studies & Lifelong Education: To enable the students to communicate effectively to excel in their profession, pursue life-long learning, good at teamwork and adhere to ethics to achieve their career and organizational goals.
- Professional Citizenship: Graduates will be trained to organize and present information, to write and speak effective English, to work effectively on team-based engineering projects, to practice ethics at work and demonstrate a sense of social responsibility
- Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals to solve complex mechanical engineering problems.
- An ability to design an engineering system, component or process.
- Employ the knowledge and apply research methodology for design, analysis and experimentation to provide valid conclusions.
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Apply the knowledge of engineering for eco-friendly and sustainable growth in the prospect of limited resources available for mankind.
- An ability to communicate effectively.
- Transform into responsible citizens by adhering to professional ethics and norms of engineering practice.
- Realize and engage themselves in life-long learning to be abreast with technological changes and enhancing skills set.
Head of the Department
Mr. M RAMBABU, M.Tech..